Sunday, June 19, 2011

Re-igniting the fire!

Too often we get so busy that things that have been fun and/or important to us fade and take a back seat to the realities of our present condition. Sometimes we simply outgrow or loose interest in these things and the passion with which we pursued them vanishes in the pursuit of new and more exciting things. The 'fire in our belly' ceases to burn and we walk away from those things that we once were passionate about with little or no regret. As part of this process we are often lead to say; "Oh, I still love doing that." or "When I get the time I will get back to it." and to a degree this is true but we all know that this "renewel' or 'getting back to' does not happen without a lot of effort and specific decisions during the process. Often this process takes a concerted step by step plan so we can work our old passions back into our 'new way of life'. Sometimes, along the way, we discover it 'just ain't worth going back' in which case we pack up the 'old' and put it away again.
I believe that both of these avenues are valid. There are some things that we must or should leave behind for any of a multitude of reasons. There are also things that should be brought back into our lives and revitalized. I also believe that this is an ongoing process and can change at a moments notice because of, again, the multitude of factors that demand or desire our time, talents and energies.
So why would I bring this up here on this blog for a fictional starship and a small social club? The reason is I am going through one of those times in my life and the Tsunami, ConDuit and Role Playing (PRGs) are all on the table. Because of what is happening in the most recent ConDuit and SF Con meetings I have attended I am getting re-excited about the convention. I am also asking myself if it is not time step back and let others who are younger and more full of ideas take the lead. I have been involved with ConDuit since the beginning and on the committee from the second one. I have ridden the ups and downs and seen people come and go and all that, but the bottom line is that I have enjoyed each and every one for its own merits. I have had the opportunity to work with and to meet some fantastic people and my life has been enriched because of ConDuit in all its incarnations, good, bad, and ugly (going by the various comments and reactions I have seen/heard.. though I personally see no 'bad' per se in any of them). Right now I am particularly enthused about what is happening in the various planning groups and it is my hope that this renews the 'fire in the belly' of all those who have left the con for what even reason. Also I hope that these changes/potential changes ignite a fire in people who have never come or have only come to a few ConDuits. I think the spark has been lit and I believe it can ignite a torch that will be a light for Utah (and surrounding area) fans for a long time to come. But it is an individual decision to seek out that spark and ignite your own fire.
I challenge each of our club members and any other members of Utah Fandom that recieve this, to get involved, come back to, and/or simply plan to attend ConDuit in 2012!! I make no promiseses but I truly see great potential and if it bears up like I think it will (given who all is involved) then fans will miss what I think is the most exiciting reasons to join (rejoin) ConDuit and build the best vehicle Utah Fans have ever had!
In the next few days I will, hopefully, address the other topics of RPGs and the Tsunami.. but this will not be so much for myself as it will be an effort to re-ignite the fires of the past in those with whom I have attended the club and gamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment